Thursday, October 9, 2014

Giving Others Rights Does Not Detract from Anyone's Rights

Some people seem to think that if people with different views from their own are give the freedom to express themselves that this somehow infringes on their own rights. There are places where religious views should be allowed, and there are places where these should not be allowed. Government property is not a place for religious displays. At the same time attacks on any religion should not be allowed on that same property. That still allows displays of any religious view on private property. Allowing sexual behavior between consenting adults does not infringe on anyone's rights. Allowing same-sex marriage does not infringe on anyone's rights. People have argued that this could lead to polygamous marriages. I do not think this is true, but even if it did how would that infringe on anyone's rights as long as it is done with the consent of all the people involved. Some people would be happier if they would stop worrying what other people did in their own bedrooms and focused instead on their own lives and helping those in need. I know that if I can help someone else to accept themselves and love themselves it adds to my own happiness. When I am able to give in some way to others in some way my life in enriched. If I worry abut how others live their own lives this only detracts from my own happiness. Rights of people should not be up for popular election. If they were the civil rights of many people would not exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment