Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My goal is to make a living doing what I love instead of cringing when people ask me what I do for a living

When meeting people online I get so tired of one question. The first thing people want to know is what my job is. I think I will start answering "Professional Asshole." I would love to make a living as a writer. I trying to get more disciplined in writing. Before continuing with octipus rex I need to do sort of an outline: otherwise, I would ramble around too much. The parts I have posted did not follow  straight timeline. I do have things in mind that will happen. I wish I could travel to the cities I want the characters to visit, so I could write details about the visits. I was in Edinburgh, London and Paris in 1979, so some of the places might not be around any longer. I did get my hair cut in Edinburgh at a place called the Blue Ginger, and it was in the location that was mentioned in octipus rex. At least one of the characters will travel to Prague soon. I also plan on writing some poetry and maybe some shorter pieces of fiction, but longer than the pieces I wrote.
I know I have repeated myself at times. I will try to do that less.
I am currently reading The Making of Americans by Gertrude Stein. She had a big influence on my writings. There are other influences as well, the theatre of the absurd for instance. Sartre and Camus influenced my thoughts and writings too. L'Étranger by Camus reflects a lot of my thinking. The main character is on trial for murder, but the focus of the trial becomes whether or not he is a Christian and his behavior that has nothing to do with what he is on trial for. It is another book I need to read again. I am also fond of Camus' plays. I really do wish I could read Milan Kundera in Czech. Someday I will be able to do that. Slavoj Žižek is another writer I find very interesting, a different view of Christianity. He and Laibach make me want to visit Slovenia.
Well that's it for now. I am getting sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment