Saturday, October 25, 2014

Okocim, Zlatý Bažant, Žatec, Velkopopovický Kozel, Baltika, Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale, etc.

Okocim, Zlatý Bažant, Žatec, Velkopopovický Kozel, and Baltika are beers that I wish I could find. Okocim is from Poland. I found it briefly in a store in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I found Zlatý Bažant in the same store. It is from Slovakia. I bought one of the beers from Baltika in another store in Winston-Salem. When I was in Kansas a friend bought me a variety of their beers in Missouri. I cannot remember how many they were, but I enjoyed them all. The Baltika brewery is in St.Petersburg, Russia. I had a couple of beers from the Žatec brewery, a Czech brewery, in Kansas. I was a bit disappointed with them. They were still better that the beers from American mainstream brewers. My favorite Czech beer is Velkopopovický Kozel. I had beer from that Czech brewer when I was in Prague. The name of the beer is fun to say too. When people ask me what my favorite beer is I say "Velkopopovický Kozel." It is fun funny to see the confused expressions of some Americans when I say that name. I would like to visit the Budvar brewery where the original Budweiser is brewed. Anheuser-Busch stole the name from them. There beer is available in the U.S. as Czechvar. I also want an Ola Dubh so much. The one brewed in a barrel in 40-year-old Scotch had been distilled is amazingly smooth. It is one that has to be sipped. It has a rather high price, but it is worth it. I used to enjoy Guinness Extra Stout, but it is not quite the same, especially the bottles brewed in Canada. There are a lot of very good beers from America micro breweries. One of favorites is Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale. It definitely lives up to the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment