Friday, October 31, 2014

Musings on Halloween

It seems ridiculous to me that there are Christian churches do not want to use the word Halloween. That word has Christian origins. It originally meant hallowed evening. The origins of the holiday are uncertain, but in the Christian calendar it preceded All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. There are those who see ti as being Satanic. That is complete bullshit. For me, at the times when I have celebrated it, it has always been an occasion to have fun. I had a job where we had costume contests. Three years in a row I won an award, for originality at least once. One year I was dressed as a victim o alien abduction. I had fake blood coming out of my ears. My jeans were ripped with safety pins holding them together in places. I had fake blood in various other places. My face was made to look pale. The next year my costume was called "how not to dress for a job interview. I wore boots with spikes across the toes, my spiked leather color, my nipples were pierced then and I had my keys hanging from one of my nipples. I cannot remember what pants were - something I borrowed from a punk friend. For when I had to wear a shirt during the work day I ware a t-shirt that I borrowed from the same punk friend - it had the red A for anarchy. (I wore the same shirt to a church party, and there were some people who complained to the Pastor that it was a pentagram - wrong!) The next year I was a Republican having fun. I wore a three-piece suit with a black lace teddy and black pumps with spike heels. I still like  to see how far I can push boundaries. I do not do it just to shock people. I like to have fun. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment