Tuesday, October 21, 2014

PCP Appointment, Another Czech Connection, Memories of an Arrogant Latin Professor and Another Question

I had my appointment with my primary care physician. I found out from my sister that he has a very good reputation and it is usually hard to get in to see him. I called the the office where appointments are made with various medical offices in the area, and he had the first available appointment. I had seen any physicians in this area in a long time, so I was not familiar with any of them. I only saw him briefly. I saw a nurse and his P.A. (Physicians Assistant not Prince Albert. I did not see his penis, and I doubt that he has a Prince Albert anyway.) In the course of the conversation with the P.A. I found out that his parents were from Czech Republic. I will not be able to see a neurologist until January. At least I will have enough medication to last until then.
It seems that I keep meeting people with ties to Central and Eastern Europe. My first primary care physician In Lawrence was Dr. Vadim Braslavsky. The parents of my process supervisor at my job there were from the Czech Republic. The parents of one of my best friends in Winston-Salem live in Slovakia. Another guy I met in Winston-Salem was from Russia. In Lawrence I worked briefly with a guy from Ukraine. On Facebook I have met people from all over the world including Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. Connecting with Central and Eastern Europe to me is like eating a comfort food or putting on a pair of comfortable shoes.
When talking about an appointment with a physician reminds me of the Latin professor who taught the classes I took. He could be somewhat arrogant. If someone mention having a doctor's appointment he would correct them, saying it was an appointment with a physician. I could see the point, but he did not have to constantly make the point. He would call students Mister or Miss. If a female student protested this and wanted to be called Ms. he would say something about Miss being the original term used when the marital status of the woman being addressed. He would usually say something about ms. being the abbreviation for manuscript.
One thing that I would like to find out is how the word "Czech" came to be used in English. It is a Polish word that means the same thing in that language as it does in English. I just wonder how a Polish word would come to be used referring to another Slavic language and people in Central Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment