Friday, October 10, 2014

Fuck the Grammar Police

I try, usually, to use proper grammar, but Grammar Police annoy me. Some people look at mistakes and ignore the content. I know people who when reading something with strong emotional will get upset that there are errors in punctuation or spelling. When I hear someone making comments about these things I have to suppress an urge to punch the shit out of that person. Part of this comes from having a father with whom I found it difficult to have a casual conversation. I never knew when he would pounce on a mistake. In terms of the history of language, punctuation is relatively a new invention. For centuries these marks did not exist. Spelling has not always been uniform and has been known to change. I can understand stricter adherence to grammatical rules in formal writing, but in casual discourse what is said is more important. It can be difficult to speak from one's heart, and if a member of the Grammar Police pounces on mistakes it can cause emotional damage to the person who has been pounced on. If you see or hear someone make a mistake in such a situation ignore it or keep your fucking mouth shut. I would rather hear or read something heartfelt with errors than something with perfect grammar that is as cold as frozen oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment