Friday, October 10, 2014

Introduction to an Unfinished Novel: Octipus Rex

I will post in small parts the fragments I have been able to find of a novel I started when I was twenty years old. Mostly because of lack of self discipline I stopped writing it. Later I started writing shorter pieces. The title was the result of a typo, but I liked it. It was dedicated to a dear friend. If he reads this he knows I am referring to him. I did not want to put his name here without his permission. There are autobiographical references in the novel. At the time I thought I was being daring to have a novel with a gay couple. Originally I was too timid to state the gender of Martin and Herbert. I used blanks for their names and the pronouns referring to them. I was still a bit naif about literature dealing with gay characters then. I started this in 1979 or 1980.

octipus rex

Introduction

Following is the autobiography of a group of people which started with four members and eventually grew in number. I gained permission to use letters and journals in putting this book together. In a way, this is the autobiography of a family, because Herbert, John, Andre-Richard, Thomas and I have become very close. Oh yes, I almost forgot Vaclav, whom you will meet along the way and who is very dear to all of us. (Please forgive me Vaclav.)
Joy Q.
(the editor)

No comments:

Post a Comment