Monday, October 27, 2014

More Films I Love

One of my favorite directors is Tom Tykwer. The first of his films I saw was "Run Lola Run" ("Lola rennt").  It was showing at a cinema close to where I was living when it came out in the U.S. I only knew the title when I went to see it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Franka Potente plays a young woman who has twenty minutes to get a large amount of money to save her boyfriend, played by Moritz Bleibtreu, from getting in big trouble. There are three variations of the story. Another of his films, "The Princess and the Warrior" ("Der Krieger und die Kaiserin") is a film with humorous moments and very tender moments. Franka Potente was in this one as well. I also have a couple of the films that he has directed in English, "Perfume" (based on the book by Peter Süskind) and "Heaven" (Screenplay by Krzysztof Kieslowski - another of my favorite directors).
Another of my favorite films is "Goodbye Lenin." The film starts in East Germany - before reunification, of course. A woman has a heart attack and goes into a coma. When she awakens Germany has been reunified. Her doctor tells her that if she has any shocks she could have a fatal heart attack. He tries to keep her from finding out about the reunification.
I have seen two films directed by Jan Hřebejk that I like very much, "Divided We Fall" and "Up and Down." I want to see more of his films. "Divided We Fall" takes place during WWII. A couple in Czechoslovakia hide a Jewish neighbor in their apartment in their Nazi occupied town. In "Up and Down" there are inter-related stories that deal with various forms of prejudice. It is another thought-provoking comedy.
More to come maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment